- 6 (4-ounce) Gardein breasts, pressed thin and sliced on the bias
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 tablespoons non-dairy margarine
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup vegan chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup capers, rinsed and drained
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon chopped shallot
- Pinch of sugar, if needed
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh parsley
Season the Gardein breasts with salt and pepper. Dredge in the flour and shake off the excess. In a large saute pan over medium high heat, melt 3 tablespoons of the non-dairy margarine with 3 tablespoons of the oil. When they start to sizzle, add 3 breasts and cook for 3 minutes, until browned on the bottom; flip and cook for another 3 minutes to brown the other side. Remove the breasts to a plate. Melt 2 more tablespoons of the non-dairy margarine with 2 tablespoons of the oil, heat until they sizzle, and cook the remaining 3 breasts in the same fashion. Remove the breasts to the plate.
Reduce the heat under the pan to medium-low and add the lemon juice, stock, wine, capers, garlic and shallot. Bring to a boil, scraping up the browned bits from the pan for extra flavor. Check the seasoning and add more salt and pepper if needed. If the sauce is bitter, add the sugar.
Return the breasts to the pan and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, until they are heated through and the sauce is thickened. Remove the breasts to a serving platter and add the remaining 3 tablespoons of non-dairy margarine to the sauce. Whisk vigorously. Pour the sauce over the breasts and garnish with the parsley. Serve immediately.