- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon agave
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1-2 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 8 ounces seitan, cut into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 ounces snow peas, strings removed
- 2 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups cooked rice, for serving
In a small bowl, make the sauce by whisking together hoisin sauce, water, soy sauce, agave, lemon juice, and chili-garlic sauce. Set aside.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat and stir-fry mushrooms and seitan until lightly browned and mushrooms have released their juices. Add ginger, cinnamon, and cloves. Let cook for a few more minutes.
Add the sauce and snow peas to skillet. Reduce heat to medium, and let cook until sauce has thickened. This may happen quickly. Turn off heat and mix in the scallions and cilantro. Serve over rice.