Tofu Sour Cream Ingredients:
- 2 large shallots, peeled and minced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons minced thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced rosemary
- 1 pound portobello mushrooms, stemmed and cut into large pieces
- 1 ounce porcini mushrooms, soaked for 30 minutes in 1 cup of water that has just been boiled, and roughly chopped
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 pound whole-grain fettuccine, cooked according to package directions, drained, and kept warm
- 1 cup Tofu Sour Cream (recipe follows)
- Chopped parsley
- 1 (12-ounce) package extra firm silken tofu, drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Place the shallots in a large skillet and sauté over a medium heat for 8 minutes. Add water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time to keep them from sticking. Add the garlic and thyme, and cook for another minute. Stir in the salt and pepper, rosemary, and the portobello mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the porcini mushrooms, and their soaking liquid, and the wine. Stir, and cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
When the stroganoff is finished cooking, stir in the sour cream. Add the cooked noodles and toss well. Serve garnished with the parsley.
Tofu Sour Cream
Use this healthy dairy alternative in any dish that calls for sour cream. Serve it with baked potatoes and fresh chives, with tacos or enchiladas, or with Mushroom Stroganoff. Makes 1½ cups.
Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth and creamy. Chill until ready to serve. Salt to taste.