Strawberry Cream Cheese-Stuffed French Toast
Strawberry Cream Cheese Ingredients:
- 3⁄4 cup spelt flour
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon non-aluminum baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/3 cups unsweetened almond or soymilk
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons neutral tasting high-heat oil, plus additional for coating pan
- 1 container vegan cream cheese
- 4-5 strawberries, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown rice syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash fresh lemon juice
- 8-10 strawberries, sliced
- 1 large spelt boule or French bread
For the batter:
In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, sea salt, cinnamon and allspice. Add in maple syrup, vanilla and almond extracts, almond or soymilk, lemon zest and 2 tablespoons oil. Whisk until smooth. Do not overmix.
For the cream cheese:
In a separate large bowl, combine cream cheese and strawberries. Add brown rice syrup, cinnamon, sea salt, vanilla extract and lemon juice, and whisk with a fork to combine.
Place sliced strawberries in a bowl.
Slice boule or loaf into large 2-inch-thick slices, and cut into each slice horizontally to form a pocket—but don’t cut all the way through bread.
Preheat griddle or pan to medium-high heat. Grease with additional oil. Stuff each slice of bread with strawberry cream cheese and a few slices of strawberries. Coat each bread slice in batter, and then place on griddle or hot pan. Cook until bottom becomes slightly golden and edges look dry, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until golden.
Let French Toast cool for about 3 minutes before cutting. Slice in half with a diagonal cut for best presentation.