- 2 tablespoons non-dairy butter
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh cherry tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth (low-sodium)
- 1 large russet potato, diced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sea salt, plus to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper, plus to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1⁄4 cup soy creamer
- Croutons for topping, optional
Preheat a large (6-quart) pot. Add non-dairy butter, flour, onion and garlic, and sauté over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes, or until slightly browned. Add fresh and canned tomatoes and cook for 2 more minutes.
Add vegetable broth, potato, sea salt, black pepper and cinnamon. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, partially covered, for about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are very tender. Add lemon juice, agave and creamer.
Blend soup with immersion blender, or in a blender with middle section of lid removed. If using a blender, place a dish towel over top of blender to prevent spillage. Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper. Serve warm and top with croutons if using.