Spicy Cilantro Pesto Ingredients
Makes about 1 cup
- 1 pumpkin (about 2 pounds), or other similar winter squash, peeled and cut into 1⁄2-inch cubes
- 4 cups cooked cannellini or other white beans, or two 15-ounce cans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and diced small
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 batch Spicy Cilantro Pesto
- 2 cups packed cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup hulled sunflower seeds, toasted, optional
- 1 jalapeño pepper, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- Salt to taste
- 1⁄2 package extra firm silken tofu (about 6 ounces), drained
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast, optional
Steam the pumpkin in a double boiler or steamer basket for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until tender. Drain and rinse the pumpkin until cool.
Once the pumpkin has cooled, add it to a medium bowl with the beans, onion, salt and pepper, and pesto.
Mix well until combined.
Spicy Cilantro Pestro Directions:
Combine the cilantro, sunflower seeds (if using), jalapeño pepper, garlic, lime zest and juice, salt, tofu, and nutritional yeast (if using) in the bowl of a food processor and puree until smooth and creamy.